[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Silent Protest

Notes: Washington D.C. - 1/20/2005 - Imperialistic Puritanism codified

On this day, Inauguration Day, I combined Gasoline Boycott Day and Not One Damn Die by riding my bike to work while not spending any money. In my case, a slushy protest to slush funds everywhere.

MonkeyGrinder points out a relevant reference:
"One can drive today for miles through American suburbs and never glimpse a human being on foot in a public space, a human being outside a car or a truck"
One might expect such behavior in northern climes during the winter, but I was astounded by witnessing this in-action fully realized in Orange County, California last year. I took a long 17-18 mile run on what I considered a pleasant evening down to the ocean and back. Over the course of 3 hours, I saw maybe 2 kids biking and maybe one person walking down the sidewalk.

By the way, I didn't see any other hardy peds or cyclists on the road today, either. As Marc Maron would say, "Wake Up, Sheeple!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"