[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Pop Quiz on the Radio

If you listen long enough, radio call-in shows will eventually air a caller asking about Peak Oil out of the blue. Not surprisingly, it happened during a Noam Chomsky interview. Big Gav points out Chomsky's response includes the prediction that motivation to energy self-sufficiency may well turn out as the best outcome for a quick peak -- helping to thwart global warming may turn out as a long-term salvation.

It's pretty much well known that anyone can write in Chomsky style. You would not have to think twice, not even for a few seconds, how to write like this. The reason he gets away with it ... is because he usually gets it spot on.
Chomsky: For example, I was just in Europe for a couple of weeks, and they have the same traffic jams we do, but not SUV's. Their mileage for cars is way higher than ours. They have a public transportation system which we don't have.
Having also just traveled to one of the "Armpits of Europe" (guess which one?), I totally agree and can add that the two-stroke output of Vespas and such also helps to mask the underlying garbage stench.

Tomorrow Earth Day. Let's get on the bike and ride!

5 Comments:

Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Sounds like Greece to me (although personally I don't really class it as part of Europe - more a dysfunctional adjunct of the middle east).

I hope it wasn't Italy - apart from a few bits around the Termini in Rome I always found it free of rotting garbage...

4:50 AM  
Professor Anonymous Anonymous said...

A correction. Vespa scooters have four stroke engines.

Greco

9:02 AM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

Naples.

Why did I just know that I would get called on the Vespa? Dang it, vespa/smespa -- the gas vapors were barely combusting.

10:03 PM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

Lots of the rest of Italy is clean. However, everyone (and I mean everyone) on the road has a death wish!

10:08 PM  
Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Hey - driving in Italy is great fun - everywhere else I go people criticise my driving - but in Italy I was just a normal motorist...

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"