[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Prediction

I wanted to make an early prediction on a meta-blogging event.

Arthur Silber has quit blogging for a variety of depressing reasons. He wrote largely about progressive issues and Atrios and others had linked to him quite regularly.

But something always struck me as strange.

Silber blogged at the domain coldfury.com, under the reason link. Curiously, the main link at ColdFury hosts a bunch of enviro-hating, wingnut types that had to provide Mr. Silber some hosting or at least connectivity services. My question: Why would they go to the trouble of providing this service for a progressive from the opposite end of the political spectrum?

Surely it had nothing to do with making money off of a blogger. Silber claimed near poverty, and certainly could have chosen a free blogging service instead.

I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Silber character may turn out as a bit of "performance art" created by the ColdFury cretins.

If this prediction does not pan out, I will meekly apologise. I have longed to discover the first bit of blogging performance art, and since my James Lileks prediction has not yet panned out (for which I apologise, not), I thought to make another lame-o prediction to pass the time. On the other hand, Silber should not really mind what I say about his situation with this parting attitude:
For the most part, it’s as if I’ve written precisely nothing over the last three years. That’s fine now. In a mere week, it will be exactly as if I’ve written nothing. I, for one, will be immensely relieved. Given how events have transpired, I’m deeply sorry I ever wrote one single word.

2 Comments:

Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Wow - that dude really is depressing.

As for performance art, I'd have to go back and look at previous posts (which I don't feel inspired to do), but if so, why ?

To try and prove "libruls" are depressed losers or something ?

4:49 AM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

One of two possibilities; either for the heck of it or to make some more ad money. If you can get only half an audience by assuming one personna, then why not go for the other half as well.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"