[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Friday, January 06, 2006

Teachy feely

Staniford has a new Hubbert Linearization post up at TOD. I still don't feel that approach merits any worth, but many people feel differently; from a commenter at the site:
It doesn't seem to be out of the realm for this to be taught in college/grad school to a fairly broad audience. Why has this been held back so long?
I can answer that. Because this particular approach resorts to a grab-bag of heuristics and empirical relationships and does not rise far above mere fortuity. Staniford says hisself that
" (I confess that I still don't fully understand why this model works as well as it seems to in practice)"
Placing myself in such a situation, I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching anything I don't deeply understand to a bunch of hungry graduate students. On the other hand, I would feel perfectly fine teaching the oil shock model, because of its reliance on some physical reality and the properties of stochastic processes.

4 Comments:

Professor Blogger JMS said...

Good work. Stuart should leave shooting from the hip to experts like myself (I don't take myself as seriously.)

1:16 PM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

We're all up against all the real experts sequestered inside the big oil office buildings. Since they won't come outside and argue, I guess it's up to us to arrange ourselves in a circular firing squad.

BTW, somebody over at TOD suggested I get medical treatment for my apparent "mania". This has me worried as I am halfway through watching the movie "Pi" from a few years ago.

2:48 PM  
Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Seems like a harmless mania to me.

I'm not sure how you can be posting while halfway through "pi" though. Now that guy had a mania....

2:23 AM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

I must be not that far gone if you guys can figure out what I am talking about.

Tell me when my nose starts bleeding.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"