[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sleeping Gas

Barry McCaffrey looks displeased. An equally perturbed Edvard Munch screams from Google that CERA has paid money for the top spot on the query "Peak" "Oil". This ends up alerting everyone within earshot that "Peak Oil Theory Flawed".

A couple of Google pages in under Peak Oil, I noticed that Julian Cope's Head Heritage web site featured a peak oil article from last year. Cope, who started out as a Liverpudlian neo-punk, took leave of his senses for a while (check out the schizoid dual memoirs "Head-On/Repossesed"), and later became a music archivist and amateur druid archaeologist. I picked up his huge picture book "The Modern Antiquarian" several years ago and recommend it to anyone that enjoys visiting ancient UK sites. Drugs could have gotten Cope committed; fortunately he recovered and instead committed himself to undertaking some pretty interesting and intense pop-research. It looks like Cope has produced another massive picture-book, available soon called "The Megalithic European: The 21st Century Traveller in Prehistoric Europe".

I find this stuff more interesting than speculating what will happen in a post-peak economy. Just remember that what goes around comes around. And witness the fact that people have started habitating in well-preserved Star Wars movie sets. Non-fiction remains stranger than fiction.

6 Comments:

Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

"Non-fiction remains stranger than fiction."

Ain't that the truth.

I was trying to research some stuff for a post recently and eventually decided that the real story was far worse than the conspiracy theory I was going to pair it with (and at least I can just dismiss the tinfoil once I've finished reading it).

2:15 AM  
Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Another thing - for some reason Cope's name rings a bell but I can't for the life of me think what song(s) of his I should know - any suggestions as to what are his most widely known pieces ?

3:14 AM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

Cope is from the Teardrop Explodes. They came out of Liverpool in the late 1970's along with Echo & the Bunnymen and Wah! Heat. I always was a much bigger fan of Echo, but Cope is always interesting to listen to.
Post-Teardrops songs, "Trampolene", "Charlotte Anne" and "World Shut Your Mouth" get played a lot.

"Sleeping Gas" is a Teardrop song.

10:24 AM  
Professor Blogger JMS said...

nobody does not love the bunnymen.

funny thing about those rankings - put peak energy in there and gav and I have bubbled almost to the top - right behind a canadian regional drilling company.

I imagine ten years from now we will surpass them... when they finally go under.

10:56 PM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

You guys have "peak energy", for some reason I have "Klein gas".

That's like the booby prize.

6:04 PM  
Professor Blogger Big Gav said...

Hey - I seem to have surpassed the Canadian company in the rankings now (but I'll refrain from boasting about it given that I'm a mere Johnny come lately to MG's franchise).

At least "Klein gas" is better than "Gross gas" WHT :-)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"