[[ Check out my Wordpress blog Context/Earth for environmental and energy topics tied together in a semantic web framework ]]

Monday, October 15, 2007

Mini vs. Big

A local yokel Twin Cities columnist has regular conniptions and a hissy fit over what she considers deranged bicyclists. This curiously comes after the Minneapolis Parks department had opened up the grand rounds for a September bike tour. Taking cues from what places like Manhattan have regularly scheduled over the years, somebody evidently thought the biking citizenry should get rewarded with a special treat of cordoned-off roads. I checked the event out and noticed a huge turnout of bikers; in certain places I found it hard to cross the pelaton and found it a touch unnerving to ride in, mainly due to the huge disparities in the riders' speeds.

Trying to understand her obsession over bicyclists, I think the StarTribune columnist, Katherine Kersten, has tried to frame and conflate other recent Critical Mass events with the sanctioned ride. And another local assbag blogger, thinks it has something to do with prepping "greens" for bad behavior when the RNC comes into town next year. I guess what better way to practice intimidating conservatives than a bunch of bicyclists roaming the streets?

As an antidote to that attitude, I enjoyed reading David Byrne's recent blog entry concerning a biking multimedia event held in NYC recently. Byrne links to another report on the event where we learn from famed columnist Calvin Trillin :
"I have been riding a bike in Manhattan for 40 years, and I have yet to shift gears."
All I can say, Katherine Kersten ain't no Calvin Trillin.

Go out and ride, take over the planet.


Update: Needing someplace to refer to her as a snaggled-tooth witch, I spotted this comment on another anti-biking tirade that Kersten penned:
Oh great, you gas-guzzling troll, now all the reactionaries that read this crap are going to run me down when I’m trying to bike to work in the morning… not like you have to worry about that since you ride to work on a broomstick.

2 Comments:

Professor Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assbag?

Mommy? Is that you?

Did you actually read what I wrote, WHT? I bike. To work, for fun, whatever have you. I want to be sympathetic with biker. As opposed to solipsistic wankers.

Oh, and I don't care about prepping "greens" for next year. I'm interested in the people who actually live and work in this city. People like me, actually.

It's a good thing you don't work in a field where facts matter, huh?

5:18 AM  
Professor Blogger @whut said...

Quit whining you assbag.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Like strange bulldogs sniffing each other's butts, you could sense wariness from both sides"